Contact Us

TechAhoy is located on the corner of Woodward Av and Putnam Av.

TechAhoy Inc.
801 Woodward Ave.
Ridgewood, NY 11385

P: 917-994-2441
E: info@techahoy.org

Send us a quick message - we are happy to hear from you!

801 Woodward Ave
Ridgewood, NY 11385
United States

(917) 994-2441

A Friendly, Neighborhood Makerspace

project of the week: bulbasaur planter

blog

What’s happening at TechAhoy? Check back often to find out! 

project of the week: bulbasaur planter

Ian Smith

This week we worked on a 3D printed planter using a Bulbasuar model located on Thingiverse. The model looks great and printed really well in Colorfabb’s Bronzefill filament.

IMG_1522.jpg

We ran into one large issue during the first few hours of printing; our Prusa i3 MK3’s filament detector wasn’t enabled so the print kept on going when our spool of fillament ran out! Unfortunately, we didn’t notice right away and the printer had no issues chugging along layer by layer sans fillament. Fortunately, we noticed the issue after only a few layers (approximately six) and were able to salvage the print. This was to be one of our longest prints to date, at almost 7 hours and we were already 1.5 hours in, so we debated whether we should cancel the job and start over. Once we added more filament the gap appeared only to be cosmetic and thus we pressed on!

There’s a bit of a gap there, Russ…

There’s a bit of a gap there, Russ…

Once we removed the planter from the print bed, we did notice a bit of a wobble at the base. Although there was substantial infill before and after the gap, the missing perimeter wall left the model feeling slightly unstable. So, we decided to MacGyver it up and add a “bandaid”!

We measured the gap which was roughly 2mm in height, printed some narrow strips to use as bandaids, grabbed an old soldering iron tip, and then welded/melted the bandaids along the gap. Presto! The perimeter walls were reinforced and the whole model felt very substantial.

All we had to do from there was spend some time applying a bit of elbow grease to sand down the bandaid and remove some of the larger layer lines throughout the model. As you can see from the timelapse video below it turned out pretty well.


Follow us on Twitter and Instagram to receive updates for this and other projects of the week!